It doesn’t take long to realize you can’t rely on the drivers around you to be alert and focused as they operate their vehicles. This means that as a new teen driver, it is important that you learn some tips that will help to keep you safe. Being a defensive driver can help you avoid accidents and help lower the risk that comes with driving. Citywide Towing Service is here to share some tips that can help you focus on your defensive driving skills and avoid accidents.
Defensive Driving Skills That Give Teenagers Control
Before a teen gets behind the wheel on their own, it is important that they learn some defensive driving skills that will not only keep them safe but will also give them control while driving. Following are our best defensive driving tips:
– Avoid Multitasking when Driving: We live in a world that is constantly pulling us in several different directions all at once. It is important that when you are driving, it is the only thing that you are thinking about and focusing on. You should avoid doing things like eating, texting and even applying makeup while you are behind the wheel. This can lead to dangerous situations and even accidents.
– Be Alert & Stay Away while Driving: There are several things that can make you less alert while driving. Obviously, you should not be under the influence of any substance while driving. This doesn’t just mean alcohol either. Avoid substances like prescription drugs, marijuana and drugs that make you less alert. Another thing many drivers don’t realize is that driving while sleep deprived can be just as dangerous as driving drunk. Make sure you have gotten ample sleep before driving.
– Follow 3-4 Second Rule: Many accidents happen because the driver hits the vehicle in front of them. This is why it is important to follow the 3-4 second rule when it comes to drivers in front of you. Make sure you have sufficient space to stop all of a sudden if you ever need to. If there is bad weather, you will need even more space between you and the driver in front of you.
– Don’t Speed: There are speed limits on the road for a reason. It is important that you remember these speed limits are posted for the most ideal road conditions possible. If you are experiencing any inclement weather, slow down.
– Be Aware of Surroundings when Driving: You should always be aware of your surroundings when driving. This can be done by checking your mirrors on a regular basis and scanning conditions around you constantly. If you notice that someone around you is driving dangerously, you are better off pulling over or taking the next exit to create space from that driver.