When you are driving and need to slow down only to find that you don’t have any working brakes to do it, the situation can be a terrifying one. Brakes play a large role in your safety when you are in a vehicle. Their failure can be something that is hard to navigate. It is important that you know what you should do in the case of brake failure, so you are prepare in case you run into the situation. Citywide Towing Service is here to talk about what needs to be done when you experience brake failure to help keep you safe.
How Do You Stop Your Car when the Brakes Fail?
If you are driving a vehicle, you need to know what to do when brakes fail. Unfortunately, it is something that can happen, and you need to be prepared for it. Here is what you need to do if your brakes aren’t working.
– Stay Calm: The worst thing you can do is panic when you have brakes that aren’t working the way they should. When you panic, you don’t have the ability to assess the situation and make the right decision, moving forward.
– Keep the Car On: Some people turn their car off the moment they feel the brakes aren’t working. While this may seem like a good idea, you should always keep your car on. Usually, the steering wheel will lock when the car is off, and you will have less control of the car.
– Hazard Lights: Activating the hazard lights as soon as possible will let the drivers around you know that you are in trouble. It can help other drivers steer clear from your vehicle while you get things more under control.
– Downshift: If you are driving a manual transmission vehicle, you can slowly start to downshift to help your car slow down. If you are in an automatic vehicle, take your foot off the gas and as the vehicle slows down, the car automatically shifts.
– Brake Again: Try putting hard pressure down on the brake pedal again. Sometimes, you can get at least have of the dual braking system to engage and work to help slow you down.
– Emergency Brake: When using your emergency brake to slow your vehicle down, you need to do it slowly or you will lose even more control of your vehicle. They slow your vehicle down much more gradually than your brake pedal usually does, but they can be effective in helping slow you down.
Towing Service, Roadside Assistance & More in Addison, Balch Springs, Carrollton, Cedar Hill, Cockrell Hill, Combine, Coppell, DeSoto, Farmers Branch, Ferris, Garland, Glenn Heights, Grapevine, Highland Park, Hutchins, Lancaster, Lewisville, Ovilla, Richardson, Rowlett, Sachse, Seagoville, Sunnyvale, University Park, Wilmer, Wylie, Duncanville, Grand Prairie, Arlington, Irving, Mesquite & Greater Dallas, Texas
If you have experienced an accident due to brake failure or have found yourself on the side of the road with a vehicle that has lost its brakes, you can count on Citywide Towing Service to help you get to the nearest shop to get your brakes fixed. We respond quickly to your call and will be there in no time. Call us today!