There are few things as jarring as hitting a pothole with your vehicle. The way that your tire sinks into the hole and then bounces out is enough to make you feel like you have hit something huge with your car. When you hit a pothole, it can do a lot more than jar you; it can actually cause serious enough damage to your vehicle that you are left stranded on the side of the road. Citywide Towing Service is here to talk about some of the damage that can be caused by hitting a large pothole in the road.
What Factors Lead to Pothole Damage?
It would be unfair to say that every pothole that you hit on the road is going to cause damage to your vehicle. Not all of them do. There are two different factors that come into play when it comes to damage to your vehicle.
– How fast you were going when you hit the pothole
– How large the pothole you hit is
What Kind of Damage Can Potholes Cause?
There are several different ways that a pothole can cause damage to your vehicle. Here are some of the most common ways your car can sustain damage from hitting a large pothole.
– Tires: Your tires are going to be the most impacted by hitting a pothole. It can cause all sorts of damage to your tires if you hit the pothole at a high speed or the pothole is large. In severe cases, it can cause a bubble bulge in your tire that puts it in a position where it is susceptible to a blowout. Some tires are actually sliced as they hit potholes as well.
– Wheels: Your wheels can get cracked or chipped when they hit a pothole as well. The wheels that your tires sit on need to be free from damage to ensure your vehicle is safe while you’re driving. Some wheels actually get bent from a pothole if the pothole is large enough. If this happens, you may have to completely replace the wheel.
– Steering & Suspension: When you hit bumps in the road, your car sails over them because of the suspension system that takes the hit with ease. When your suspension system gets damaged by a pothole, it can cause problems with your steering system and the smooth ride your vehicle once had.
– Undercarriage: There is some cosmetic damage that can happen to your undercarriage when your vehicle hits a large pothole as well. This can cause issues with rust down the road.
Towing Service, Roadside Assistance & More in Addison, Balch Springs, Carrollton, Cedar Hill, Cockrell Hill, Combine, Coppell, DeSoto, Farmers Branch, Ferris, Garland, Glenn Heights, Grapevine, Highland Park, Hutchins, Lancaster, Lewisville, Ovilla, Richardson, Rowlett, Sachse, Seagoville, Sunnyvale, University Park, Wilmer, Wylie, Duncanville, Grand Prairie, Arlington, Irving, Mesquite & Greater Dallas, Texas
In some cases, hitting a pothole can leave you stranded on the side of the road with vehicle damage. It can leave your tires in bad enough condition that you can no longer drive on them or wheels bent so bad that they aren’t safe to drive on as well. If this is the case, call on Citywide Towing Service to give you the lift you need to get your vehicle fixed. Call us today!