Almost everyone has experienced a dead car battery at one point or another. The fact is, that it is bound to happen sometime. The goal for most drivers is to do whatever it takes to extend the life of that battery and know the signs that your car’s battery is going bad before you find yourself stranded. Citywide Towing Service is here to talk about ways that you can extend the life of your car battery.
How to Make a Car Battery Last Longer
There are many ways you can get the most out of your car battery. Following are some tips that will help you extend the life of this battery so you don’t find yourself stranded.
– Limit Short Car Rides: Short rides here and there are going to be the leading cause of a short lifespan of your car battery. This is because your battery never has the chance to fully charge. You should drive your car for extended periods frequently to avoid this problem.
– Turn Off Lights When Getting Out: How many times have you drained the battery in your car because a light was left on inside it? This happens all the time. In fact, there are many car manufacturers that are now equipping their cars with lights that auto shut off after a period of time. Draining your battery because lights were left on takes it toll on battery life.
– Secure the Car Battery: If your battery isn’t securely fastened to your vehicle, it will be more likely to start shorting out. Ensure it is tightly fastened to the mounting bracket.
– Don’t Allow Car Battery Corrosion: While it is normal for battery terminals to corrode with time, you can combat this by keeping the area clean. This will end up extending the life of your battery considerably.
– Don’t Use Electronics While Idling: If you are sitting in your vehicle with it off in the accessory position, you can still use things like your radio and charging ports. This will create more wear on your battery though when you use these things with the vehicle turned off.
Weak Car Battery Symptoms
It is important you are aware of the signs that are probably present when your battery has reached the end of its life.
– Strange noises when you start the engine such as grinding and clicking.
– Your vehicle is slow to start when turning the key.
– Your headlights dim and brighten when you are idling vs pushing on the gas.
– If your battery is more than three years old, it could be reaching the end as most batteries last for 2-5 years.
Roadside Assistance Services & More in Addison, Balch Springs, Carrollton, Cedar Hill, Coppell, DeSoto, Farmers Branch, Ferris, Garland, Grapevine, Lancaster, Lewisville, Ovilla, Richardson, Rowlett, Sachse, Seagoville, Sunnyvale, Wylie, Duncanville, Grand Prairie, Arlington, Irving, Mesquite & Greater Dallas, Texas
If you have found that you are stranded with a battery that isn’t working, you need help fast. The experts at Citywide Towing Service offer roadside assistance 24/7 so that you can get back on the road as soon as possible. Call us today!